Email The City of Rogers

Go to RogersArkansas.com Home Page
Rogers Weather    Wednesday, April 16, 2014

» Visitor Information » Expansion Plans » Exhibits » Programs » Education » Collections » Donate an Object » Research Library » Museum Shop » FAQs » Home

Rogers Historical Museum  


Photo of the Month

Love’s Sanitarium



The two-story building located at 506 East Spruce Street is a beautiful example of circa 1880 architecture in Northwest Arkansas. Though no longer believed to be the site of Callahan’s Station, this building does sit on land that once belonged to the Callahan family. In 1849 George Jewell Callahan and his family purchased a large section of land including what would become part of Electric Springs as well as the property at 506 East Spruce.



 

The image “file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Ron/Local%20Settings/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/OLK2CF/LoveSanitarium%2017890.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
Dr. George Love’s Sanitarium, circa 1910. Neg. #N017890

Erwin Funk, an early Rogers newspaper editor wrote about 506 East Spruce Street explaining that Mr. D.C. Githens purchased it in 1885 and built the brick building that still stands today. Githens was the first to operate what then was known as the Summit House Hotel. The property changed hands several times over the years before Mrs. Willie Pennington and her husband Doctor J.C. Pennington, purchased the building and operated a “sanitarium,” which was an early version of a hospital.

In 1909 the property was sold to Dr. George M. Love. Love and his wife Alice had moved to Rogers in 1909, and he had a downtown office for a time. When they bought the building they lived in part of it and opened the rest as Love Sanitarium, a small private hospital. Since Love wasn’t a surgeon, other doctors performed the operations there. The first floor included Dr. Love’s office (east side) and a recuperation ward (west side), while the second floor was for the operating room (east side) and another recuperation ward (west side). The 1918-19 Rogers city directory bore an ad for the sanitarium and called it “a home-like place for the sick, convalescent, obstetrical, and surgical.”

Although Dr. Love continued to practice in Rogers, the Spruce Street property was sold in 1934 to George and Lula Vroom. They listed the business in the 1939 Rogers telephone directory as the Rogers Sanitarium. The Vrooms were responsible for installing a small, rope-operated elevator in the back of the building to move patients and equipment between floors.

The building was again sold in 1943, this time to Dorothy and L.D. Pettit. They changed the name to Rogers Hospital, remodeled the building, and added some rooms on the back side to bring the patient bed-count to twelve. Among the doctors who performed operations during the Pettit years were Drs. Moore and Jennings, well known Rogers physicians. Dr. Jennings is quoted as saying, after working there following his return from WWII, “The place was clean, the patients received good care, but the operating room was more obsolete than the one I used almost on the front lines in combat.”

The Pettits sold the land and building in 1947 to J.O. and Inez Wilmoth, who reorganized the place as the Wilmoth Nursing Home. They first added a kitchen and dining room on the back, and, due to new nursing-home rules in 1954, widened all the doorways, replaced the old stairway with a new one (still in use today), removed the elevator, and added a sprinkler system and steam-heating system. The nursing home had a 30-year history. For three years (1977-1980) the Pettits leased the building and it was home to the Benton County Adult Development Center.

In 1980 the Wilmoth heirs entered a lease-purchase agreement with the Office of Human Concerns, Inc. (OHC), a non-profit organization “to promote the well being of the citizens of Benton, Carroll, and Madison Counties.” OHC and the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) continues to provide services at 506 East Spruce Street.

 

More Photos of the Month

People:
Rogers Academy Class of 1896
Applegate Family
Bingham, George H.
John Black and Hugh “Tater” Black
Blackburn, J.A.C.
Blaylock, Sarah
Carter, C. Jimmie
Clarke, A.O.
Curry, Dr. William Jasper
Decker, Charles
Felker, William R.
Ford, Edsel
Funk, Erwin
Harvey, Coin
Hawkins, Harold and Frank Jr.
Hill, Fred
Jacobs, Thomas
Keck, Jack
Key, Vera
Kirksey, Birch
Lingle, Greer
Lockhart, Tracy
McNeil, Tom
Means, Joe
Morgan, Tom
Morsani, Al
Myler, John
The Sagers
Sikes, J. Wade

J.L. Shinpaugh, Rogers City Marshal
Steele, John Bell and Mary Van Winkle
Thaden, Louise
Rice, Dr. Rufus S.
Rogers, Betty Blake
Rogers, C.W.
Rogers Dough Boys
Rogers, Will

Tribble, Letsie
Truman Boling, Master Builder

Vick Will

Places:
Beaver Dam
Beaver Lake
Butterfield Trail
Camp Joyzelle
Confederate Monument
Coin Harvey’s Spring Lake and Falls
Lake Atalanta
Monte Ne
Old Highway 12 Bridge
Park Springs Park
War Eagle
The Amphitheater at Monte Ne
Silica Mining
Frisco Tunnel at Winslow
Wonderland Cave in Bella Vista
The Ozark Bluff Dwellers
Fisherman's Camp
Kruse's Gold Mine
Highway 71
Hanging Tree

Businesses:

The Apple Industry
Callahan's Station
Cattle Ranching
Coca-Cola Bottling Company
Daisy Manufacturing
Decker Motor Co.
Dyke Lumber Co.
Hailey Motor Co.
House of Webster
McNeil Chevrolet
Munsingwear
Poultry Industry
Pressing Sorghum Cane
Rogers Champion
Rogers Hardware Co.
Rogers Transfer & Storage
Suzie-Q Malt Shop
Wal-Mart

Wendt-Sonis

Schools:
Rogers Academy
Rogers High School
Sunnyside Elementary School

Buildings:
The Applegate house
112 South First Street
Bank Of Rogers Building
Benton County Jail
B.F. Sikes Log Cabin
Central Methodist Episcopal Church
J.B. Steele House, 303 South First Street
Juhre Building (1894)
Golden Rule Building (circa 1894)
Lane Hotel
Love's Sanitarium
Mutual Aid Union Building
Palace of the Ozarks
Rogers City Hall
Rogers City Jail
Rogers Milling Company
Rogers Opera House
Rogers Post Office
Rogers Wholesale Grocery Company
The Key Wing
The Stroud Building (1899)
The Victory Theater
James and Sally McDaniel Home

The Stroud Home
The Tribble House
The Rocky Branch School

Organizations:
206th C.A. A.A
Home Demonstration Club
Rogers First Elks Lodge
Rogers Garden Club
Women's Study Club/Mas Luz Club
Benton County Possum Hunters
Rogers High School Football Team 1921
Rogers High School Marching Band 1942
936th Field Artillery Battalion in the Korean War
1960's Rogers High School Spirit
Arkansas State Guard in WWII

Events:

Apple Blossom Festivals
Benton County Fair
Bolin Murder Inquest 
Ozark Golden Jubilee
Rogers Centennial Posse
Rogers Diamond Jubilee (1956)
Santa's Rocket Sleigh
Sledriding
The Arrival of Santa Claus (1945)
The Brightwater Train Wreck (1907)
The Great Car Skate on Lake Atalanta (1940)
Thanksgiving (1904)
The Last Reunion of Pea Ridge Veterans

Other:

Baseball
Cars
Chemical Engine
Christmas Memories
Frisco Railroad
Halloween
Mining in Northwest Arkansas
Natural Resources
Rogers' Congregational Church
Rogers Fire Department
Rogers Police Cars
St. Mary's Hospital
Tobacco and Benton County
Still Busting near Bentonville
Roadwork
John Boat
Quilts
Tall Tree Tales

Civil Defense in the 1960's
Early Cars
Rogers Yuletide
Brick Streets
Rural Road Work

 


 

About the MuseumExhibits  |  Programs  |  Education  |  Get Involved  | Have Fun |  Contact UsHome