Email The City of Rogers

Go to RogersArkansas.com Home Page
Rogers Weather    Saturday, April 19, 2014

» Visitor Information » Expansion Plans » Exhibits » Programs » Education » Collections » Donate an Object » Research Library » Museum Shop » FAQs » Home

Rogers Historical Museum  


Photo of the Month

 

Rogers Academy Class of 1896

By Emilee Dehmer, museum intern

 

Rogers Academy opened in 1892 and was one of the most prestigious schools in the area. Located at an elevation of 1400 feet on the border of the White Rivers Hills of the Ozark Mountains it also boasted of its fantastic location. While it catered to both elementary and secondary education, the upperclassmen were allowed to live on campus. For $8, paid in advance, students were provided a room containing nothing more than a stove and a lamp – girls were also provided with a bed frame and a spring mattress. The tuition with that was $94.

 

The graduating class of 1896, shown in this photo, was the 10th graduating class and included 22 people. They are “Earle Gould, Grace Adams, Porter Christy, John Crawford, Louisa Hawley, Board Horsley, Hobbs Horsley, John Lovewell, Horace Klyce, Frank McGaughey, Della Mitchell, Freddie Mitchell, Lester Oakley, Frank Owens, Lafayette Pearson, Louisa Perritt, Charley Robinson, Belle Smith, Minnie Smith, Wythe Walker, John Wilmot and Harvey Woods.” In the photo only two people can be indentified. Professor J. W. Scroggs is pictured in the upper left and Wythe Walker, who is at the left side of the top part of the “6.”

 

While in attendance at the Academy, there were strict rules students were required to follow. Every Sunday they were required to attend a church service, and no tobacco was allowed. There were also strict dating rules. “No boy will go with any girl more than three times during a school year. No girl can have gentleman company without permission from the proper authority. If requested by parents a girl was not allowed to have any boy friends while attending the Academy.”

 

Sports were also enjoyed at the Academy. Stared in 1900, they began with a slow start but two years later were undefeated. However, when Elmo Walker was seriously injured in 1906 sports were banned.

 

While the Academy graduated 27 classes with “all but 2 or 3 being earnest, capable, and moral men and women” the Academy ran into money problems and was closed in 1913. While the Academy and it’s buildings are no longer standing today, the impact it had while it was here will always be remembered in the hearts and minds of all who attended.  Today, Frank Tillery Elementary School stands on the site of the Rogers Academy.


 

More Photos of the Month

People:
Rogers Academy Class of 1896
Applegate Family
Bingham, George H.
John Black and Hugh “Tater” Black
Blackburn, J.A.C.
Blaylock, Sarah
Carter, C. Jimmie
Clarke, A.O.
Curry, Dr. William Jasper
Decker, Charles
Felker, William R.
Ford, Edsel
Funk, Erwin
Harvey, Coin
Hawkins, Harold and Frank Jr.
Hill, Fred
Jacobs, Thomas
Keck, Jack
Key, Vera
Kirksey, Birch
Lingle, Greer
Lockhart, Tracy
McNeil, Tom
Means, Joe
Morgan, Tom
Morsani, Al
Myler, John
The Sagers
Sikes, J. Wade

J.L. Shinpaugh, Rogers City Marshal
Steele, John Bell and Mary Van Winkle
Thaden, Louise
Rice, Dr. Rufus S.
Rogers, Betty Blake
Rogers, C.W.
Rogers Dough Boys
Rogers, Will

Tribble, Letsie
Truman Boling, Master Builder

Vick Will

Places:
Beaver Dam
Beaver Lake
Butterfield Trail
Camp Joyzelle
Confederate Monument
Coin Harvey’s Spring Lake and Falls
Lake Atalanta
Monte Ne
Old Highway 12 Bridge
Park Springs Park
War Eagle
The Amphitheater at Monte Ne
Silica Mining
Frisco Tunnel at Winslow
Wonderland Cave in Bella Vista
The Ozark Bluff Dwellers
Fisherman's Camp
Kruse's Gold Mine
Highway 71
Hanging Tree

Businesses:

The Apple Industry
Callahan's Station
Cattle Ranching
Coca-Cola Bottling Company
Daisy Manufacturing
Decker Motor Co.
Dyke Lumber Co.
Hailey Motor Co.
House of Webster
McNeil Chevrolet
Munsingwear
Poultry Industry
Pressing Sorghum Cane
Rogers Champion
Rogers Hardware Co.
Rogers Transfer & Storage
Suzie-Q Malt Shop
Wal-Mart

Wendt-Sonis

Schools:
Rogers Academy
Rogers High School
Sunnyside Elementary School

Buildings:
The Applegate house
112 South First Street
Bank Of Rogers Building
Benton County Jail
B.F. Sikes Log Cabin
Central Methodist Episcopal Church
J.B. Steele House, 303 South First Street
Juhre Building (1894)
Golden Rule Building (circa 1894)
Lane Hotel
Love's Sanitarium
Mutual Aid Union Building
Palace of the Ozarks
Rogers City Hall
Rogers City Jail
Rogers Milling Company
Rogers Opera House
Rogers Post Office
Rogers Wholesale Grocery Company
The Key Wing
The Stroud Building (1899)
The Victory Theater
James and Sally McDaniel Home

The Stroud Home
The Tribble House
The Rocky Branch School

Organizations:
206th C.A. A.A
Home Demonstration Club
Rogers First Elks Lodge
Rogers Garden Club
Women's Study Club/Mas Luz Club
Benton County Possum Hunters
Rogers High School Football Team 1921
Rogers High School Marching Band 1942
936th Field Artillery Battalion in the Korean War
1960's Rogers High School Spirit
Arkansas State Guard in WWII

Events:

Apple Blossom Festivals
Benton County Fair
Bolin Murder Inquest 
Ozark Golden Jubilee
Rogers Centennial Posse
Rogers Diamond Jubilee (1956)
Santa's Rocket Sleigh
Sledriding
The Arrival of Santa Claus (1945)
The Brightwater Train Wreck (1907)
The Great Car Skate on Lake Atalanta (1940)
Thanksgiving (1904)
The Last Reunion of Pea Ridge Veterans

Other:

Baseball
Cars
Chemical Engine
Christmas Memories
Frisco Railroad
Halloween
Mining in Northwest Arkansas
Natural Resources
Rogers' Congregational Church
Rogers Fire Department
Rogers Police Cars
St. Mary's Hospital
Tobacco and Benton County
Still Busting near Bentonville
Roadwork
John Boat
Quilts
Tall Tree Tales

Civil Defense in the 1960's
Early Cars
Rogers Yuletide
Brick Streets
Rural Road Work

 


 

About the MuseumExhibits  |  Programs  |  Education  |  Get Involved  | Have Fun |  Contact UsHome