Email The City of Rogers

Go to Home Page
Rogers Weather    Wednesday, April 23, 2014

» Visitor Information » Expansion Plans » Exhibits » Programs » Education » Collections » Donate an Object » Research Library » Museum Shop » FAQs » Home

Rogers Historical Museum  

Photo of the Month

Rogers Police Cars
By Emilee Dehmer, Collections Intern

Marshal Robert Sikes, the first City Marshal that records can be found of, started his term in the year 1881. Now, in 2011, the Chief of Police is James H. Allen. Through the years many changes have happened in the police department, including the change of title from “City Marshal” to “Chief of Police” in 1944.

The picture on the right is from the early 1960’s, and features (from left to right) Troy McQuire, Glen Austin, Bob Deason, and Bill Dunson. The police car, which is most likely a 1961 Ford Fairlane, can also be seen in the photo-and surprisingly the cars of the department have an interesting history as well!

Until the 1950’s, the officers had to provide their own cars, as the city did not provide cars for them. In May 1946, the City of Rogers purchased its first fully equipped police car. In 1959, when the city purchased a new squad car it was a 1959 Ford and cost $1,837.65. Just two years later, in 1961, there was a need for two new cars! Two 1961 Ford Fairlanes were purchased for $1,886.33 with a $450 trade in for the old ’59 Ford. Through the end of the decade two new cars were purchased, both 1966 Plymouths. For the police to invest in a new car costs a little more nowadays. A new fully equipped Dodge Charger can range upwards from $30,000.

The men pictured in the photo have an interesting history as well. Bill Dunson, (fourth from left) served on the force for many years, serving under several Chiefs of Police, including the famous “Mean” Joe Means. Bob Deason (third from left) also served under “Mean” Joe Means and in 1966 he was promoted to Sergeant which came with a $15 per month raise. Troy McQuire (first on left) served as “Acting Chief” in 1970. Sadly, little is known about Glen Austin (second from left).

In 1962, under “Mean” Joe Means, there were eight men and two patrol cars to keep the city of Rogers safe. The Rogers Police Department now employs 100 uniformed officers, with numerous patrol cars, and even police dogs. The first police dog was named Black Fang and was trained under patrolman Denny Roles in the mid 1960s.

Through the years names, cars, and numbers have changed but one thing stays the same. The Police Department is always here to serve and protect.

More Photos of the Month

Rogers Academy Class of 1896
Applegate Family
Bingham, George H.
John Black and Hugh “Tater” Black
Blackburn, J.A.C.
Blaylock, Sarah
Carter, C. Jimmie
Clarke, A.O.
Curry, Dr. William Jasper
Decker, Charles
Felker, William R.
Ford, Edsel
Funk, Erwin
Harvey, Coin
Hawkins, Harold and Frank Jr.
Hill, Fred
Jacobs, Thomas
Keck, Jack
Key, Vera
Kirksey, Birch
Lingle, Greer
Lockhart, Tracy
McNeil, Tom
Means, Joe
Morgan, Tom
Morsani, Al
Myler, John
The Sagers
Sikes, J. Wade

J.L. Shinpaugh, Rogers City Marshal
Steele, John Bell and Mary Van Winkle
Thaden, Louise
Rice, Dr. Rufus S.
Rogers, Betty Blake
Rogers, C.W.
Rogers Dough Boys
Rogers, Will

Tribble, Letsie
Truman Boling, Master Builder

Vick Will

Beaver Dam
Beaver Lake
Butterfield Trail
Camp Joyzelle
Confederate Monument
Coin Harvey’s Spring Lake and Falls
Lake Atalanta
Monte Ne
Old Highway 12 Bridge
Park Springs Park
War Eagle
The Amphitheater at Monte Ne
Silica Mining
Frisco Tunnel at Winslow
Wonderland Cave in Bella Vista
The Ozark Bluff Dwellers
Fisherman's Camp
Kruse's Gold Mine
Highway 71
Hanging Tree


The Apple Industry
Callahan's Station
Cattle Ranching
Coca-Cola Bottling Company
Daisy Manufacturing
Decker Motor Co.
Dyke Lumber Co.
Hailey Motor Co.
House of Webster
McNeil Chevrolet
Poultry Industry
Pressing Sorghum Cane
Rogers Champion
Rogers Hardware Co.
Rogers Transfer & Storage
Suzie-Q Malt Shop


Rogers Academy
Rogers High School
Sunnyside Elementary School

The Applegate house
112 South First Street
Bank Of Rogers Building
Benton County Jail
B.F. Sikes Log Cabin
Central Methodist Episcopal Church
J.B. Steele House, 303 South First Street
Juhre Building (1894)
Golden Rule Building (circa 1894)
Lane Hotel
Love's Sanitarium
Mutual Aid Union Building
Palace of the Ozarks
Rogers City Hall
Rogers City Jail
Rogers Milling Company
Rogers Opera House
Rogers Post Office
Rogers Wholesale Grocery Company
The Key Wing
The Stroud Building (1899)
The Victory Theater
James and Sally McDaniel Home

The Stroud Home
The Tribble House
The Rocky Branch School

206th C.A. A.A
Home Demonstration Club
Rogers First Elks Lodge
Rogers Garden Club
Women's Study Club/Mas Luz Club
Benton County Possum Hunters
Rogers High School Football Team 1921
Rogers High School Marching Band 1942
936th Field Artillery Battalion in the Korean War
1960's Rogers High School Spirit
Arkansas State Guard in WWII


Apple Blossom Festivals
Benton County Fair
Bolin Murder Inquest 
Ozark Golden Jubilee
Rogers Centennial Posse
Rogers Diamond Jubilee (1956)
Santa's Rocket Sleigh
The Arrival of Santa Claus (1945)
The Brightwater Train Wreck (1907)
The Great Car Skate on Lake Atalanta (1940)
Thanksgiving (1904)
The Last Reunion of Pea Ridge Veterans


Chemical Engine
Christmas Memories
Frisco Railroad
Mining in Northwest Arkansas
Natural Resources
Rogers' Congregational Church
Rogers Fire Department
Rogers Police Cars
St. Mary's Hospital
Tobacco and Benton County
Still Busting near Bentonville
John Boat
Tall Tree Tales

Civil Defense in the 1960's
Early Cars
Rogers Yuletide
Brick Streets
Rural Road Work



About the MuseumExhibits  |  Programs  |  Education  |  Get Involved  | Have Fun |  Contact UsHome